Friday, January 25, 2008

What the ...

Matthew is asleep now. But has already done the scream/whine three times tonight, the one that won't stop til go in and pat him.

Which has been happening for the past three nights, all night. What the ?!!??!?!

He has been, I think, both teething and congested. The combination has caused him to wake up crying every 15 minutes at different points. Then we might catch an hour, then every 15 minutes. Then a 2 hour stretch until 5 a.m., bring him to bed with us, and THAT is when the kid finally sleeps hard.

Last night we ever tried our bed for the whole night, but that actually freaked him out. "Dark! Bed!" so back into his crib. Only to summon us across the hallway all night long with squeals, sobs and various other "someone's poking me with knitting needles" noises. That don't stop. I'm fine with crying it out - but after 30 minutes, when none of us are getting sleep, it seems a bit redundant. So I go pat him and after about 4 seconds, he's fine and back to sleep. For some TBD period of time.

It was an all too familiar reminder of the horrible sleep deprivation of newborns. And I actually found myself having that same ridiculous ability to get up and deal with it, every time. And even get through the days okay. But also thinking OH MY GOD, this is what I'll be doing for 6-10 weeks in a few short months.

Meanwhile, dear husband was right LOSING IT on night two, much less last night. We took turns getting up, but I will share, he was a bit more panicky and impatient with it than I (a rare occurence in our household). He is actually tucked into bed now, trying to catch up on his Zzzzzs. With any luck, Matthew will give us both 8-10 sweet hours of them tonight.

No comments: