Saturday, July 28, 2007

Finally a Break

It has felt like a whirlwind since a week before vacation, and here it is a week after, and I'm just NOW posting about vacation.

Work has been WORK since before and since I've been back. But today is Saturday and now .... Matt napping, Mike golfing out of town, me happily drinking my cold coffee, downloading photos and finally updating this blog.

The rest of the vacation, well, was about as smooth as the first part. Unfortunately, my family got in a car accident on Friday of vacation. They are OKAY, they are, but they are sore and having to be careful from the fallout of a bad five car accident. It's pretty scary to think about obviously and no one got seriously injured. But when I think about what could have happen, if the (God help me) golf clubs hadn't been in the trunk to cushion the blow, well, it's just not worth it to go there, is it.

Anyway, my poor Mike was in the back seat and got the brunt of it. Now he's feeling alternatively sore/painful in his back, then neck, then stomach, then back ... etc. We're ready to send him to the chiropractor next week so get him checked and possibly X-rayed, just in case. He's also has PT buddy who's going to check him while they're on their golf trip this weekend.

He is OKAY but still, the whole thing still sucked. Did I forget to mention, Bob and Dale's (my in-laws) car was totaled? The trunk was smashed to about 6 inches.

And I know I did mention but shall say again: the golf clubs SURVIVED! The will power of this family to golf is incredible.

SO, needless to say, the trip was a bit hampered. Luckily Bob and Dale were able to get a loaner car from a co-worker who's out of the country, so I hope they're still able to use that to get around to manage their very busy, doesn't-stop-for-a-car-wreck real estate businss. (Side note: It was a sweeeet white Escalade. It was like a swanky lounge on wheels. My bed is not as comfortable as that back seat captain's chair.)

Overall it was a good trip for seeing family and getting lots of baby/aunt/uncle/grandparent time. Just not the stress free relaxation you'd hope for. But that's life, right? Speaking of "life," the whole accident, and the luckiness of the outcome, was emphasized by the fact that we'd all gone in to set up our WILLS the day before. Yes, day before giant traffic stopping for miles on the highway accident they had.

Bob and Dale had arranged kindly to let us and Scott and Fernanda (my bro and sis in law) use their lawyer to document our wishes for Matthew, power of attorney, etc. It's something any new parent probably knows they should do but doesn't get around to, so it was a very healthy exercise.

But as my Muldrow family knows, the experience (especially the health care/living will parts) freaked me out big time. And to put an exclamation point on that, they get in this accident the next day ... Deep breath. They're fine.

To shift gears and LIGHTEN THE MOOD of my first post in over a week, so you'll come back again in the future, here are photos of all the FUN family and baby cousins moments:



Cousin Danny has his own Brazilian/Fernanda style but he is definitely a Muldrow through and through (and in his expressions, at least, a doppleganger to his older cousin).



He is a sweet, funny, happy and ACTIVE baby right now. And despite Mandy and Tucker's best efforts to rebuff him, a natural (sorry, Fernanda) dog lover. I believe that although his parents live in a clean dog free zone, this kid is destined to be covered in hair and sneaking kibble just like his cousin. A future of dog lovin' vacations at his grandparents' and aunt/uncle's definitely lays before him.

No comments: