Friday, July 20, 2007

Two For Two ... Unfortunately

I don't know what vacation voodoo we're under. But this is now the second vacation in ONE MONTH tainted by baby sickness.

The night before we left for CO - the MIDDLE of the night - Matthew woke up and wouldn't stop crying. We usually ignore it but after a while of drifting in and out we realized, hmm, how long has this been going on? Mike ended up getting up and (I didn't even realize this, but) giving him a bottle, in an hour and half process. This hasn't happened since ... I don't know ... 4 or 5 months old?? (I was allowed reprieve due to the 5 a.m. wake up I had scheduled to finish up work before our trip.)

The next morning, I'm up working. Baby wakes up, Mike gets him. I greet them and think, whoo hoo, happy vacation day! And then realize, Matt's hot, really hot, and red.

He had 101 point something temp. Come to find out, "Oh yeah, he had 103.3 last night. I think that's why he was up."

!!!!!!!!!!!!

The doctor's office said, it's fine to travel, just give him Tylenol cold. He was probably in the one or two days preceding coming down with something. Greaaatttt. We are going to hang out with his nine month old cousin Danny. And supposed to be running around Colorado Springs having fun with the family, not be sick! But okay, so far, no biggee. Kids get weirdo fevers sometimes.

Several hours of traveling, and semi-crabby baby behavior later (is it sick? is it being stuff on your mom's lap on an airplane?) we get to the Muldrows. Then kinda realize, gee, he's REALLY red, really hot. And come to find out he now has 103.7 temp. Now, our doctor's office says, it's still not a problem. Just wait and see if the Tylenol (very frantically delivered after the temp taking) kicks in.

Well, it must have. Two hours and one (hard fought for) nap later, he's down to 101.3.

Grea... wait, another hour later, 103.8.

Now I don't know if this number strikes fear into other baby mommy hearts. But my son hasn't had temps at all much less "high" ones. I was a little worried. We promptly picked up Motrin because I know it's worked better for a few people for fevers.

But we still also logged another call to the doctor, looking for answers. She put the decision to take him in to urgent care in our hands. She wasn't saying worry and take him but she wasn't saying not to. Was he irritable? Um, well, YEAH! Was he vomiting? No, thank goodness. Lethargic? No, thank goodness. Heavy breathing? Well, his breathing does sound funny but a nose full of boogers tends to do that.

We decided to wait it out, a bit more. One semi-cold shower and lots of sobbing tears from said shower later, he was down to 100.5 and we decided we'd try to make it through the night.

The next morning, a 99 point something made us happy .... followed by a 101.8 two hours later! Ahhh, kid, are you sick or not?!??! Help a mother out.

The one - no two - savings graces have been:

Motrin. Has unbelievable (never before seen by me with Tylenol) effect to lower his temp within 1/2 hour of dosing. Then he feels great and runs around like nuts. Probably making himself feeling sick again but as long as he's happy ...

Which is the second saving grace. He's been in a relatively good mood most of the time, so I can't believe he's TOO sick.

That said, he's been more randomly crabby than I'm used to. He'll look tired, I'll take him to the other room to wind him down. And he throws a giant teary sobbing red faced FIT. It's hard to deal with and hard to watch, because I know he's not happy.

I assume it must be an illness, or the altitude. Either way, I feel bad for the kid. Because we're also having napping challenges. He never does well in a strange place but this week its compounded with things being noisy with three families, another baby, two dogs and one construction project on Grandma's bathroom.

And did I mention that every meal is turning into "Let's Make a Deal?" Please Matthew, one bit of banana. Or, I can trade you for TWO spoonfuls of yogurt? Okay, you can TAKE the graham cracker into the living room where you're not supposed to, but you have to drink the whole THINNNNGGG, come on DOWN. Mostly Matthew is making the deals, though, and the deal is, he's not eating much. Enough to know I shouldn't completely freak. But not enough to give Mom a little peace of mind. Or a restful relaxing vacation.

All I know is, I was wound a little tight when I left St. Louis. If all body temps don't stay below 100 for the rest of the trip, I just might squish myself inside out. Wish us luck!!!

No comments: