Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Peeping WHAT?

Imagine my surprise when Mike hands me a bright pink flyer the other morning and calmly announces that we have a Peeping Tom in our neighborhood.

A WHAT? Didn't that phrase go out in the '50's, along with poodle skirts and greasers? What the heck is that anyway?

According to my scary pink flyer, it's a man in a black trench coat slash cape, with a big black hat on. That looks like he MIGHT be FBI if he weren't a peeping Tom. And he's black too, the same color as his coat and hat. Kinda like this guy, who is apparently peeping on us all through the computer screen:

But on the flier he's got snake like slits for eyes and they're hot pink from the flyer background. So he's more like Lord Voldemort in a Halloween detective costume.

Since my PC isn't working, I can't scan it for you tonight. So I'll improvise, ahem:

Alert!

Our neighborhood has been experiencing problems with trespassing, "Peeping Toms", and vandalism over the past few weeks. Police are aware and have been patrolling over night.

We will be having a neighborhood meeting at the Shrewsbury Police Station in the courtroom ... (don't want to say when, what if the Peeper shows up to our unguarded home? Oh yes, our "guard dogs" would wiggle on him to death.) A police detective will be there to answer questions and listen to concerns and we can share information.

Let's send a message that we won't accept this in our neighborhood. Leave your exterior lights on if possible at night. Please be aware of any unusual activity or strangers and report it to the police immediately. Let's help solve this problem.


I am thrilled with the initiative taken to set up to create and distribute this notice. And the police efforts for us. Yet again, I love my neighborhood. (I would point this flier isn't signed or reference to anyone so hopefully it is not indeed The Peeper himself crafting a master plan that will have us all scratching our heads wondering where our TVs and laptops went after the meeting's over.)

I'm also obviously pleased with the police efforts and the meeting, which we will be attending. But come ON people, how CREEPY is this? I haven't seen anything or noticed anything. But this is NOT what I want to hear! It upsets me that my neighbor(s) had to get upset and feel insecure ... and now we all do. You just never know what's going on ... someone casing the neighborhood for burglary would be the best of it, you know?

This is so cliche, but I have always felt so safe here. To walk by myself at night or early in the morning. Yes I am careful, watch over my shoulder, take the dogs, prefer to take Mike ... as W would say, I am vigilant. But I never really thought twice about it. Now I am thinking just once about it. No more for me. And that STINKS stinks stinks.

Not that taking a walk or really moving, at all, for any reason, has been on my agenda lately. But I'm always waiting for the urge to strike and now it only probably should during the daylight hours.

(Matthew, don't read this.) I do miss the days before having a baby when Mike and I could get the dogs out and go for a nice 9 p.m. walk after dinner and 8 o'clock hour TV. I couldn't always wrangle him, but when I could it was so great. A time to catch up and get the dogs out there (and sooo much easier with us both; even with the Gentle Leader, I am not the biggest fan of herding them both at once by myself). But now those days are gone. We either round up all the troops together and go before Matt goes down. Or I go by myself later.

And natch now that Mr. Peeper's lurking, maybe it'll be a while longer. I am going to blame him for these last 15 lbs.

(Don't you like all this light humor about a (hopefully) petty criminal roaming my street at night? I hope so, because it's helping me not be freaked out by it.)

No comments: