Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Anyone Else Hate This?

I love it when nice older ladies call me hon, or babe. I feel cared for, in good hands, like they know wordly things and they'll just handle whatever comes our way. Hey Babe, how you doing? Love it, love it.

But for some reason, when women my age or - gag - younger than me call me Honey, it makes me want to punch something.

I guess I take that back. If you are my very good friend and we are having a deep heart to heart and out of sheer concern you say, Oh, I'm so sorry you're having a hard time, Honey. Well, I can appreciate that.

But calling me Honey or Sweetie, multiple times in one passing conversation, when discussing non-personal - and in fact, business-related - matters, and when I suspect that I was in second grade on the day you were born ... well now, come on, that is just a little bit MUCH.

2 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

Yes, but not as much as I hate being called "Ma'am" by someone who's only a few years younger than me.

erindelanty said...

i totally agree. a jewelry rep at SC kept calling me "hun" the other day. i wanted to say, look, "hun" only my mom and husband can get away with that - not some 25 year-old coach tote-ing, channel necklace wearing blonde...i'm not your hun, you really just want to push your homemade jewelry...the jig is up.