Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Like PostSecret For Houses

As you my loyal readers (if I haven't lost you completely by now) surely know, the Muldrows are a-house-huntin'. Tonight I wanted to do some digging on a couple possibilities. So I discovered how completely fascinating the St. Louis County real estate records are.

I am telling you that seeing sketches of my house, having my sale price listed, my taxes paid, my square footage (so puny!) and lot size listed publicly is just, well, weird to me.

Weirder still that I could find out the same for every house we're looking at. AND FOR ALL OF YOURS, HA HA HA. Just kidding. I swear, I am far too lazy for that.

But I did scope out one we're already loving, and one we might be loving. Comparing the taxes, size, recent sales prices and so on was really eye opening (aka Webster taxes truly are just kooky talk compared to Shrewsbury taxes).

And it was also sorta sweet to see that our purchase of our home was the only "sale history" she's ever had.



Mrs. Richardson's uncle built this for her new husband and her in 1955. She raised her son her - his whole life! - and now we're raising ours.

And though I will be sad sad sad to leave my sweet little bungalow one day soon, it's neat to think we'd hand it off to the next little family waiting to happen.

1 comment:

Me? A Mom? said...

Oh I have long loved looking up how much people paid for their houses. You can do it for the city too.