Monday, March 17, 2008

"Oth Side!"

That's how Matthew says "other side" - which you'd be surprised to know can OFTEN be worked into conversation. Like when we're reading books (turning pages/other side), when we give hugs (first hug/other side/new hug on other shoulder) or really, you know, anytime we're holding something with two sides. Gotta check out the "oth side!!"

That's how I feel about getting past his surgery - glad we're on the other side.

Most of the day was waiting - 2 hours before the surgery, about 50 minutes for the surgery, another hour with him still away from us in the recovery room, and then another hour or so all hanging together in our room eating popsicles and animal crackers so make sure there's no tummy problems from anesthesia (none).

The only time I got at all emotional was seeing his actual incision - it's about 1 1/4 inches, and RED. It's taped up with a big clear bandage (like a second skin) the doctor will remove in a week. It's not bothering him at all; we do call it his ouwie. But we even could get it wet, and he doesn't seem bothered.

So it was obviously a very smooth experience. The only time HE got upset was when they were removing the IV (being held in his left hand below by the blue wrap aka his bowling glove) and the tape holding it on. Fair to say we were proud of our trooper.The St. John's pediatric surgery nurses were fabulous. It reminded me of St. Luke's nurses when I had Matthew - visiting constantly, offering meds, making sure you're comfy, bringing you Sprites... just total care givers.

Anyway - we certainly felt lucky to have something so minor, when there were kids in there having real illnesses going on. Just breaks my heart to even think of it. But, I'm certainly glad it's over and that since Friday he's been climbing on stuff he shouldn't and running through the house like a wildman - back to normal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, I'm so glad to hear that it all went so good. I'm also jealous to hear that your nurses were bringing you Sprites AND meds? I got neither of those things regularly. I think my nurse was a Scientologist or something.
I also love "Let's check out the oth side!" Very cute.

Anonymous said...

OK, now the pictures are up so I need to re-comment. Now I know that everything was and is OK, but there is something about that sweet little boy sitting on the hospital bed that tugs at my heartstrings! He is SO cute!

erindelanty said...

Look at that little yellow hospital gown. That is too sad or cute or I don't even know, kind of both at the same time. Glad that's over and done with! I know what you mean about appreciating their health - I remember feeling that way too when Bridget had her little hospital stay.

Sarah Guckes said...

He looks like such a cute little man. I'm so glad everything went well and that he's on the mend!