Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My House: Love it or Leave it? Both

Here I am spending the last night in my house of the last seven years. Tomorrow will be the first night in the house that will keep us for the next seven, or more. I still can't quite take it in despite sleeping on an air mattress surrounded by blank walls, no furniture, no dogs (kennel) and no husband (the poor guy is STILL out dealing with unloading the garage onto our trash heap and/or into our SUV).

I feel I should post pictures of our house filled with boxes and mess. Or maybe all empty and sad. But I have none - damn batteries died and if I even had any, they're packed on a truck a few miles away, waiting to be delivered to our new side of town. A sad yet appropriately disorganized ending to our last few months here. (Read: moving really blows.)

I can't really get into all I want to say about the move. Exciting for what it will bring - our new daughter to her new home in 3 months. Sad for what we're leaving - the house I brought my son home to, had countless nights with friends, had countless beers with friends (and apparently spills - hello, my poor carpeting that was hidden under the furniture until now!), and to kick it off, the house I moved into with a different last name, just 3 short months before we got married and began building the family of seven (yes I count the cat) we have now.

This afternoon I got emotional saying good-bye to a neighbor. Thinking I won't live on this street - my street - anymore tears me up. I am happy I'll remain part of it a bit, as we'll continue bringing Matthew to our neighbor's for our shared daycare several days a week. But also scared I'll be jealous its not me living here...

And yet I know that soon I'll probably grow to love my new neighborhood just as much. After 3 months off for maternity leave, hopefully I'll know the streets intimately from walking with TWO kidsm in beautiful fall weather. Once our basement's finished, we'll definitely feel we've gotten the step up house we've waited a long time for. Having the kids in rooms where they have space to have a crib AND turnaround without bumping into something will be neat. And, it'll just be fun to pick paint colors and rearrange furniture again - to start fresh.

But walking out of here tomorrow is gonna hurt like hell.

2 comments:

Liggy said...

I never thought that I would get emotional about this move, but reading that definately made me tear up a little. I guess I have practically lived there for the past 2 years.

erindelanty said...

i'm so sad i didn't get to say goodbye (maybe tomorrow!)!

here are some of my memories from good ole 7616:

looking at it when you bought it and so jealous about how much bigger it was than my little hilton house; talking about the old lady that you bought it from and her plants; helping you move in; yours, mine and then lisa's bachelorette parties (all started there); riley and murphy on the patio as puppies; michael's 30th bday party followed a year later by tim's 30th bday party; beer pong in the basement; picnics and washers in the back; painting matthew's nursery; superbowl parties and game nights in the family room and so many more good memories!

i can totally empathize with what you're going through - we weren't at our first house as long as you guys, but it was still very emotional - so many memories, tim had to drag me out for the last time, tears and all.

on a happier note, i look forward to all the new memories we'll make at the new crib - with all the new little ones. However, there will still be many beers shared and, let's face it, most likely spilled there, too!